Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Persistent Communication with God


We’re talking “listening.” Is, does, God listen to our petitions? Sometimes it seems not. Consequently we can become passive and lethargic in our communication with Him. Christ taught regarding persistent prayer in Luke 18 – the story of the determined widow who received because of her relentless requesting of the judge. Jesus is challenging us to be persistent with our requests.

My prayer partner, Dan Eichenberger, points out hidden values of unrelenting prayer. “Persistence is a powerful force that does several things I had not intended when I first engaged in persistent prayer. I desire answers and results. God desires my presence with Him. Persistence keeps me in God's presence; a place where I can be molded and changed into His likeness. It becomes a tool God uses to change me. Persistent prayer reaffirms my dependence on God, acknowledges His existence and sovereignty over life and deepens my intimacy with Him.”

I’m reminded of Andrew Murray’s comment: “I must believe in His infinite love, which really longs to have communion with me every moment and to keep me in the enjoyment of His fellowship.” Psalms 16:11 is the basis for this view. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Much is written on the many aspects of prayer. Let’s explore more of petitionary prayer – asking of God - and learn together what God says about making our requests known to Him.

WHAT GOD SAYS ABOUT ASKING OF HIM
Jeremiah.33:3 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

God is speaking to an individual, Jeremiah, imploring him to call on God so that he could effectively prophesy to the Israelites. Some would interpret this to mean the asking injunction was designed only for Jeremiah. However, much is heard of God giving special wisdom to seekers today which is corroborated in the New Testament, James 1:5,
“If you lack wisdom, ask of God, who gives liberally…”

As a young college basketball coach, I needed God’s wisdom on how to pray regarding my stuttering. I stuttered profusely, even throwing my jaw out of sinc trying to get a word out.
In a basketball game, each team has five one-minute time-outs allotted. I would sometimes get stuck on a word during a time-out. Consequently, not much strategy could be imparted in that short time frame. (Stutterers don’t stutter when they sing. One time I was stuck on a word during a time-out and one of the players, grinningly proclaimed, “Sing it, Coach.” His teammates broke up with laughter. The ice was broken. Fluency returned.)

My Pentecostal friends would tell me, “Ray, God’s not healing you because you don’t have enough faith. God wants to heal you if you’ll only believe.” Non-Pentecostal friends would say, “Ray, your positive attitude regarding stuttering is an inspiration to us. You challenge those of us who are fluent to speak more for the Lord. I hope God doesn’t heal you.”
For healing. Not for healing A dilemma. How do I pray?

Desperation drove me to Cascade College’s prayer chapel one Saturday morning. My prayer was, “God, I’m not leaving this building until you give me wisdom on how to pray. I’d sure appreciate freedom of speech. Healing would be fantastic but your will be done. Teach me how to pray. Do I pray for healing or do I pray for the ability to accept my stuttering?”

After a time of reading Scripture, praying, and weeping, it seemed as though God spoke in a near audible voice, “My beloved. I’m not going to heal you of stuttering. I’m going to heal the causes of your stuttering.” And God has been “working” on the insecurities and other emotional issues underlying the malady the past 40 plus years.

God wants His children to call on Him for wisdom. He listens, though at times it feels like He doesn't. More tomorrow on God's listening to His children.

No comments: