Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Confession part two

Confession part two! If you read yesterday’s post, you saw my plan to connect with God on the hour every two hours – time set on my cell phone alarm system. You saw my ungodly response to the alarm, “Don’t bother me. I’m busy.”

It’s been 24 hours since, with the same plan – different outcome. A more humble person heard the alarm yesterday. Upon the alarm’s signal, my response was “thank you for your grace, Father. What part do I play in the stifled communication with you throughout the day?”

See, I feel good about my communication with the Lord during my dicipline of solitude where I pray, read the Word, journal, etc. But it is the spontaneous time during the day that I need to fine tune my ear to hear His gentle whisper.

I believe the Lord answered my question with this response: “Ray, you’re a responsible person. When you start a project, you stick with it until it is finished. That’s a good quality. But Ray, you can become obsessive in finishing your project. Let’s work on being more flexable – more abstract random. Your concrete sequential is making you inflexable and rigid. Being more flexable will lead to a greater sensitivity to my speaking to you and will give you a more discerning spirit to see the needs of others.”

Consequently, I’m learning a good lesson about myself in this quest for developing the skill, the art of listening. Can you relate to this?

No comments: