Friday, August 15, 2008

God Listening Wrap-up

We’ll wrap up today the topic of God listening to us. We’ve looked at many conditions in the past few posts. The last one:
ASK IN CHRIST’S NAME TO GLORIFY GOD
John 14:13-14 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Ron Dunn in his book, Don’t Just stand There, Pray Something, teaches us that “every petition to God is formed in the context of three provisions: The will of God, the name of Jesus, the Glory of God. Nothing done in the name of Jesus would be contrary to God’s will or inconsistent with His glory. So it is correct to say that I can pray in the name of Jesus only when what I ask for is according to His will, and when that answer will bring glory to God. When my motive for asking is the same as His for answering, I’m on praying ground.” Dunn adds, “God takes the route that brings Him the most glory. On its way to better, it may drop by worse.”

My former pastor, Mark Goodwin, powerfully clarifies asking of God. “We must avoid two extremes: demanding God to give us what we ask and on the other hand, failing to ask God boldly for what we desire. Just as a child is not afraid to ask for anything, we too must carry our requests boldly to God. But we must trust his character, his heart and his integrity. Our Father truly knows best. Think about it. Paul asked boldly to be released from prison so that he could preach the gospel. God did not answer his prayer. Instead he gave Paul the desire of his heart – preaching the gospel – in a way Paul could have never fathomed. He had him write it in the form of letters so that MILLIONS would hear the message for generation after generation. Paul died not fully understanding why God had not rescued him but he died with great confidence in God’s character and wisdom.”

I request of God at this point of my life, the good gift of healing from Parkinson’s Disease. He is currently saying “no.” I trust that His plan for me to have PD is a greater gift and it will accomplish His purpose for my life and bring Him more glory then if He healed me. I can accept that and rejoice (98% of the time) because my “ask, believe, receive” is directed to God’s loving care to give me His best gift.

As I close out the topic of “God Listening,” may I summarize with this final conclusion: “Ask, believe, receive” is directed to God’s loving care to give me the best gifts, NOT belief in His giving me specifically what I am asking of Him. What I am asking may not be God’s paramount plan for the moment. As I’m walking in intimacy with God as described in John 15, I know more clearly how to pray and with right motive. Thus, I request of Him, persistently, expecting to be answered according to His will, realizing that He knows what is most excellent regarding that particular petition. An added benefit of my persistent prayer is the effects of being in His presence, molded in His likeness. “…how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him.”

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,
so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans.15:13

Have a great weekend. Back on Monday with our challenge to listen.

No comments: