Friday, August 8, 2008

A PREREQUISITE FOR ASKING OF GOD

We’re studying the topic “listening.” Currently looking at how God listens to us and what our requirements are – the first, being a child of God.

In a sense, all created humans are God’s children. However, the Scripture speaks of an intimate relationship – child with Father. John 1:12-13 describes this connection:
Yet to all who received him (Jesus), to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not
of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.”


To become a child of God involves turning from self and receiving Jesus as Savior and Lord of your life…born again. Born of God.

A request passage that links the asking of “your Father in heaven” to the recipient child is seen In Matthew 7:7-11:
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”

Our Father in heaven yearns to give good gifts – the best gifts – to His children who ask of Him.

Prerequisite #2: Not Only A CHILD, But Developing INTIMACY WITH CHRIST
We’ve all experienced times of seemingly unanswered prayer; so is there an attitude of prayer, a position from which I pray, to more wisely make request of God? John describes a prerequisite in John 15:7 - Intimacy with Christ
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

My pastor, Kent Conrad, is profoundly convicting and inspiring when he shares the following perspective on petitioning God.

“I believe that a great context for working through questions about petitions is a John 15 relationship with the Father. When I am abiding or remaining in intimate relationship to Him, my perspective is changed. I find great delight in asking the Holy Spirit to usher me into the throne room of His Presence.

"When I am confused about what to pray, especially concerning unsaved loved ones, I ask to hear the intercession of Jesus for that individual. It is amazing how many times as I quietly abide in His Presence, I will have thoughts about the situation that have never before occurred to me.

"We have to be careful with this but I have found that the Lord delights in my interest in His intercession. I am convinced that He knows where the leverage points are in the heart of each of us. Through His prevenient grace He actively is at work in the hearts of those that we love.

"When I begin to see how He is working it brings great relief and excitement to my troubled heart. I then feel the privilege of praying for what I believe He is interceding for. The partnership that I feel with the Lord is very rewarding.

“Intimacy with the Lord is such a blessed privilege. I get so frustrated with my pettiness in not pursuing it all the time. When I am uptight and distracted I have a great possibility even probability of praying for the wrong thing with the wrong attitude. When I allow the Holy Spirit to quiet my mind and heart, when I humbly ask to be in His Presence everything begins to change.”

My prayer response to Kent’s challenge, “God, my mind constantly wanders during this kind of contemplative prayer. Speed the day that my intimacy with you can be as authentic and focused as Kent describes.

No comments: