Friday, August 29, 2008

Do I Want to Hear God Speak?

The question that faces each Christian: Do I really want to hear God’s voice and why do I want to hear Him?

As I examine my own heart, especially with my life-long propensity to perform for approval and recognition, how much of wanting to listen to God is ego-centric? Will I be seen as a strong Christian? Will I be recognized and approved of by man if I have a “direct line” to the Father? Will that encourage people to look to me for God’s answers?

My prayer is, “God, if there is a smidgen of this fleshly manure fluff on a subconscious level, purge me. I don’t want that. Rather, I desire intimacy with you because I know that you are the Source for life – the abundant life.”

Motives are important in anything we do. I want my motive pure – hearing from God to apply 2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

The Bible also says this about God's Word: "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

Do I want to hear God pointing out destructive attitudes or behavior to me? That is not a fun experience. It will lead to discomfort, initially. More freedom later as I cooperate with God in cleansing and purifying.

There are many benefits in listening to God. We’ll look at some of those in Monday’s post.

No comments: