Friday, January 4, 2008

Finding victory in defeat

Pictured is my grandson, Dominick, (the Dominator) Scoleri. He is the hottest show in Orlando's
first grades! (Totally an unbiased observation.)

It's after Midnight. Normal bed time is 9:30. Can't sleep. We got beat tonight. Got spanked by Western Washington University, 20 points. I really thought we were ready for them - lead at half time. Looked good the first half. Then fell apart. What do I tell them at our next team devotional?

"Well, it is just a game. No big deal." Not! Thousands of hours have gone into preparation for this game and for the rest this season. "No big deal," would be like a business man saying the same after he had lost a very profitable vender. Not. He would dig and search out the reasons he lost the deal. So also must these players after the loss tonight.

How can I learn from this - basketball skills and personal character qualities? How can this loss be turned into ultimate gain? How would you answer that? (We have another game Saturay night and my next team devotional is on Monday.

1 comment:

William R. Wallace said...

I would answer that by saying that "it is by no means JUST a game, but it is by no means EVERYTHING." And if I could really get that into my head, I could examine myself freely - not fretting my flaws, but mastering them. "A spirit of hope and joy that errs on the side of self-confidence -this is an entirely superior experience, and tactic, than a spirit of anxiety and second-guessing."