Friday, January 25, 2008

Transformed Thinking

My daughter Gretchen and hubby Kevin

Circumstances can be debilitating. However, where is your focus?

I’m relearning a lesson I thought I had finished learning many times before. Allow me to let you peak into my “kitchen window” of last week. I share this story not for your pity nor for your thinking highly of me – just want to share a victory that could be helpful to you in your circumstances.

Parkinson’s disease was really kicking up a few weeks ago – more stumbling, losing my balance, tightening throat and vocal cords, slower movements, memory loss, etc. I increased the medication and two weeks later, no results.


I was bemoaning my plight to the Lord in my quiet time Monday, when it seemed that He said to me, “Psalm 34, Ray.” That was one of the passages I have memorized so brought it back to recall.
I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing.The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.


It seemed as if God was saying to me, “Ray, my son, you have a decision to make, either focus on your circumstances and be discouraged or think about all the blessings I have given you, rejoice in my love for you, trust and seek me and you will lack no good thing.”

Romans 12:2 reminds us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. I was immediately transformed from a position of discouragement to one of peace and contentment because of the changed mindset.

Romans 15:13 tells us, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

My hope is not the change of my circumstances but the hope focus is on God who wants to work in everything for my good, His glory and for the good of others. (Romans 8:28-29) PRAISE THE LORD

No comments: