Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Identity - Forgiveness 12

My wife Theresa with friend Polly
The forgiving process: disclosure, desire, decision and lastly, repentance.
Repentance of what? "I wasn't the scoundrel, the abusive parent, the cruel friend, the abandoning spouse. For what do I need to repent?"

I need to repent of my resentful response. My bitterness. My revenge. My coping strategies. The pain I've caused others. Matthew 6:12 Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. Notice the sequence: forgive to be forgiven.

God's forgiveness of my sins removes any guilt on my part. Isaiah 1:18 LB: Come, let's talk this over says the Lord; no matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can take it out and make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you white as wool.

No guilt! But there can be consequences. The prophet Nathan responded to King David's repentance of murder and adultery with "The Lord has taken away your sin; however, the child shall die ... the sword shall never depart from your house."
There is a judicial pardon described in Hebrews 8:12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more," but God may discipline as is described in Hebrews 12:5-11 ... My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Judicial pardon but at times a spanking! For our good.

We'll wrap up the forgiving thoughts tomorrow.

No comments: